Palmetto Pro Birders
Would you like to learn how to identify the birds you see in your backyard and in your travels around South Carolina? How about learning how to bird-scape so that your feathered friends beat a path to your backyard? Want to understand how your role as a citizen scientist can help save the birds and the diverse array of habitats that exist in the Palmetto State? Well here’s your chance to become a Palmetto Pro Birder!
The Palmetto Pro Birder Program offers one-day Birding Basics Classes, one-day Pro Birder Field Days, and two-day Pro Birder Training Modules. Several of each type of session are held throughout the year, with different instructors, at various locations around the state.
To become a Certified Pro Birder, you will be required to attend eight days of SCWF training. Participants can pick and choose sessions based on level, focus, date or location (however Birding Basics can only count once toward certification).
Every session will be appropriate for beginners, and include varying amounts of basic information. Each class will also include various species, dependent on location and time of year, to interest those attending multiple sessions.
After every session, students will:
- have learned the “tricks of the trade” for identifying the common species, as well as some of the rarer species in SC
- be able to identify by sight and /or sound at least 15-20 bird species (more for longer sessions) - learn new birds in each session!
- understand the roles of Citizen Science in protecting birds and habitat
- be better able to plan bird-friendly landscapes that attract and retain a higher diversity of avifauna
Who: Palmetto Pro Birder classes are open to anyone ages 16 and up. To ensure a quality experience for all, space is strictly limited to 20 participants. Classes fill quickly, register early!
- one-day Birding Basics Classes: $40
- one-day Pro Birder Field Days: $60
- two-day Pro Birder Training Modules: $150
- Bag lunch and plenty of water
- National Geographic Guide to Eastern Birds (or your favorite field guide)
When: The classes/modules can be completed in any order - you can start at any time with the next upcoming event if there is space.
If you do not currently receive emailed notifications when new classes are opened, you can join our mailing list here.
**Find pictures from completed Pro Birder classes HERE**
Contact: Sara Green, SCWF Director of Education
Through Email by Clicking Here, or
By Phone: (803) 609-4778