Wildlife And Industry Together™ (W.A.I.T.™)
WAIT is designed to encourage corporate landowners to integrate wildlife habitat needs into corporate land management decisions.
As South Carolina becomes increasingly developed, there is less land available for wildlife. Corporate landowners can offset habitat loss by devoting their under-utilized lands to wildlife. This is achieved by matching site employees who are interested in wildlife with community partners to develop habitat plans.
The WAIT program assists corporations, employees, facility neighbors and other groups who desire to develop environmental projects in partnership with each other.
• Aids corporate landowners in obtaining technical assistance to plan, implement and manage habitat plans.
• Assists landowners in identifying potential community partners, educational opportunities, activities and measures of success for the site.
• Provides a forum for participants to exchange success stories.
• Enhances habitat for native wildlife.
WAIT provides benefits to all involved in the initiative. Corporate participants experience:
• Cost savings through reduced land management costs.
• Enhanced environmental awareness of employees.
• New partnerships with community groups including schools, civic organizations, and conservation groups.
• Positive environmental impact through habitat creation, preservation and stewardship.
• Enhanced reputation among the community as a responsible environmental steward.
• Positive coverage in partner publications through WAIT certification, signage display and related media events.
WAIT Resources for Partners:
2012 WAIT Certified Sites:
- AFCO, Anderson
- BMW Manufacturing Corp., Spartanburg
- BMW International Technology Research Center, Greenville
- Duke Energy - Bad Creek Pumped Storage Station
- Duke Energy - Catawba Nuclear Station
- Duke Energy - Mill Creek Combustion Turbine Station
- Duke Energy - Oconee Nuclear Site
- Duke Energy - Lee Steam Station
- FujiFilm, Greenwood
- Glen Raven Custom Fabrics Division, LLC, Anderson
- Hartness International, Greenville
- Honda of South Carolina, Timmonsville
- Michelin, Sandy Springs
- Michelin, Starr
- Michelin Americas Research & Development, Laurens Proving Grounds
- Michelin Americas Research Company (MARC), Greenville
- Michelin Tire Corp, Earthmover Plant (US7), Lexington
- Renewable Water Resources, Durbin Creek Facility
- Renewable Water Resources, Mauldin Road Facility
- Schneider Electric / Square D, Hopkins
- Spartanburg Water, Lake Blalock
- Spartanburg Water, Main Office
- Spartanburg Water, Fairforest Reclaimed Water Treament Plant
- US Engine Valve, Westminster
- Westinghouse Electric Company, Columbia
Click on each site to see information from their WAIT application and/or re-certification documents.