This class is currently full. To be placed on the waiting list, please send an email to SCWF Director of Education, Sara Green.
If you don't currently receive emailed notifications when new classes are announced, you can JOIN OUR MAILING LIST HERE.
Whether you are a beginning birder or need a refresher on the basics, this workshop will help you hone your birding skills! This day will be a combination of classroom and time out in the field, and will focus on the basics of bird identification by sight & by sound, common birds at feeders and along the trail, how to use & buy binoculars, how & why to log your sightings using E-bird, how to create habitat for birds in your own backyard and community, and much more.
Where: We will meet at the Clemson Sandhills Research & Education Center in northeast Columbia. You will receive more details about parking & finding the classroom after you register.
When: Wednesday, February 21st from 9:00am until 3:00pm
Who: This training is open to the public. No prior knowledge is required. Minimum age is 16.
For SC Master Naturalists, this event can count as Advanced Training and towards your statewide certification if you need an upstate component. Lunch will last thirty minutes, so depending on when we finish, this will count for approximately 5.5 hours of training. If you are not a Master Naturalist, just come have fun with us. Participants will also receive contact info of other participants to allow for carpooling to the class.
To ensure a quality experience for all, space is strictly limited to 20 participants. Classes fill quickly, register today! After registration, you will receive an email with lodging recommendations, directions, and any other details pertinent to the class.
Other Important Notes:
• If available, please bring binoculars & your favorite field guide to Eastern birds.
• Restrooms are available at the building. Pink and blue bushes are along the trail…
• Participants should bring a bag lunch, water and be prepared for a day in the field.
• There is no rain date for this event. We will make every effort to hold it, even in a few rain showers. If it looks like a deluge, we'll notify you of cancellation and refund your money.
• After registering, you will receive important correspondence via email. If you change your email between now and then, make sure to notify us.
Cost: The cost is $60.00 per person and limited to the first 20 people that register.
IMPORTANT: Participants should be in good physical shape. Birding involves alot of standing, and we may cover some distance in our field work.
PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN YOU CAN HANDLE THESE CONDITIONS.
Questions? Please contact Sara Green, SCWF Director of Education.